Sunday, September 15, 2013

Guest Room/ Bathroom

Wow, I haven't updated in over a week!  Basically, that's because it's STILL just demo, and I'm really just not in the mood to talk about the remodel anymore because it's making me so anxious to still have nothing done (I know demo isn't "nothing", but it feels like nothing). 

Supposedly, we will hear back from the county on Tuesday for our "first review" where they tell you what you need to change on your plans.  I also need to make a few changes with our structural engineer.

I've been focusing on the guest room.  Originally, I was going to do a traditional guestroom with a bed, side tables, etc.  But the more I thought about it and talked to people, the more it seemed silly to have a dedicated guest room when we rarely have guests.  Since that room already has a built-in desk and storage area, which will be our office area for our desktop, I decided to make it a guest room / craft-sewing room!

So I bought this cute sofa bed, which pulls out to a queen.  This will be even better for guests than the bed I planned on using because it's a full (although I'm sad not to use the cute bed frame I've been storing for over 4 years!).

On the other side of our kitchen (and the reason our kitchen is so narrow!) is our powder room.  It also shares part of a wall with the guest room.  We initially toyed with the idea of putting in a shower, but we couldn't figure out how to make it workable because it is such a narrow space so we decided to save some money and add another bathroom in the future.  But then I saw this photo on Pinterest...

This is exactly what our contractor suggested doing long ago, but I thought it sounded awful having a sink on the side of the wall...until I saw this photo, and I love it!  This would allow us to put a shower at the opposite end of the skinny bathroom.  We have plenty of length because the guest room has a bar in it, which is already plumbed with a sink and drain on the other side of the bathroom.  That area was going to be a walk-in closet, but that room was going to have 2 closets anyway so there is no problem with making it a shower instead.  We'll have to see what the budget allows, but it would be great for guests to have their own full bathroom so they don't have to use the kids' bathroom!

Here is a picture of the bar- imagine that plus 2 feet because we are adding 2 feet all along that wall for the walk-in pantry.
The built-in desk is on the wall opposite the sliding glass doors- I just realized I don't have a photo of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment